Thoracic Spine Strengthening Exercises
How to Strengthen your Middle and Upper Back
These specific strengthening exercises are designed to improve the strength of the muscles supporting the middle and upper back this can help relieve and prevent back pain, neck pain and headaches. Only perform these exercises when instructed to by your chiropractor as part of your overall chiropractic treatment program.
Exercise is an important component of your chiropractic treatment plan that aims to restore function and strength to support and protect your spine. These targeted exercises help to restore function and strengthen your thoracic spine this can help you to achieve your goals whether that be competing in a sporting event, improving your fitness or simply being active with your family.
If any of these exercises cause you any pain or discomfort, stop and consult your chiropractor.
Wall Y/W exercise
- Stand comfortably with your back straight
- Lift your hands above your head so as they are in a Y position
- Bring your arms down the wall while squeezing your shoulder blades together until your hands make a W
- Hold for 1 breath
- Lift your arms back up to the starting position and rest there for 1 breath
- Repeat 10 times
Scapular squeezes exercise
- Sit up straight with both feet flat on the floor and shoulders back
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together
- Hold for 10 seconds
- Repeat 10 times at once or throughout your day.
Mid Trapezius Strengthening exercise
- Lie down with a folded pillow underneath your chest
- Place your arms straight out to your sides with elbows straight and thumbs pointing towards the ceiling
- Slowly raise your arms toward the ceiling as you squeeze your shoulder blades together
- hold for 10 seconds
- Slowly lower, rest for 10 seconds and repeat 10 times
[imagebutton image="https://www.boovalchiropractic.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Link-to-Initial-Consultation-1.jpg" text="YOUR FIRST VISIT" link="http://demo.techniqueinteractive.com.au/boovalchiropractic/first-visit/"]